Wayman African Methodist Episcopal Church is one of the oldest churches still in existence in McLean County. Established in 1843 to serve the Bloomington/Normal communities; we have continued to provide hope to those in despair, guidance to those without direction, and love for all of God’s creation. Our mission is to minister to the spiritual, intellectual, physical, emotional, and environmental needs of people by spreading Christ’s liberating gospel through word and deed. We believe that there is but one true and living God of infinite power, wisdom, and goodness. The Reverend Dr. Brigitte A. Black is our Pastor.
As outlined in the Discipline, the mission and purpose of the church is as follows: To minister to the spiritual, intellectual, physical, emotional, and environmental needs of all people by spreading Christ’s liberating gospel through word and deed. Wayman subscribes to this mission and our endeavors to help build Christian spirituality and growth. To aid in the relief of the poor and those who are disenfranchised within their communities of Bloomington and Normal, IL. We will also foster the love of Jesus Christ through Christian fellowship throughout the church and within our community.
2016 Vision for Wayman A.M.E. Church (click here)
More on the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church
To read more about our denomination, we invite you to click on the following link to “The AME Church Official Website.” http://www.ame-church.com
|Name||African Methodist Education Society and Church|
|Name Change||Wayman African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church|
|Association||4th Episcopal District, Illinois Conference, North|
|Original Location||806 N. Center Street, Bloomington, IL|
|Relocation||September 1990, Service February 14, 1993|
|Builders||Moses Bird, Joseph Hobson, and J. W. Hill|
|Renovation||1960, 1971, 1990|
|Pastor||First Pastor: Rev. Phillip H. Ward|
|Current Location||803 W. Olive Street, Bloomington, IL|
Current Pastor: Rev. Dr. Brigitte A. Black since 2016
Recent News: Dr. Black’s Interview with the Des Moines Register